I've been running around like crazy and just haven't had the time to cook as much as i would like at home. I manage to make breakfast for myself most of the time, but cooking other meals now have become sporadic. Luckily, I live in a city where vegan food options on the go can be around the corner from where I live. This is something great to make and be able to eat when necessary, you can make a ton and just eat it when you don't have time to cook.
This recipe is too simple to pass on trying out yourself. Its just so easy and tasty. I have to confess though, that my boyfriend came up with this recipe, and we've been making it constantly ever since.
I would also recommend using organic ingredients for this recipe, because tomatoes especially soak in a lot of pesticides. If you can buy your tomatoes from a farmers market, even better! This soup always tastes good, but whenever I make it with fresh veggies from the farmers market it tastes even better!
Do you ever find yourself looking for recipes, and scrolling through, but they all call for too many ingredients and you give up and make a sandwich? I've done that so many times. I know I want something good and healthy but I'm not about to buy worcestershire sauce or a bunch of ingredients I'm likely to never use again..
Just to reassure you, this isn't one of those recipes. I hope your mouth is watering and that you will try this one out for yourself! Its hearty, simple, and did I say tasty? ;)
Yields: Approximately 8 bowls
- 2 pounds fresh tomatoes
- 5 carrots
- 2 red onion
- 1 red pepper
- 5 garlic cloves
- 5 sprigs thyme
- 5 sprigs rosemary
- 1 tspn chili flakes or 1 hot pepper
- generous drizzle of olive oil
- tomato paste
- 1 QT (32 fl oz) vegetable stock
1. Preheat oven to 500'F.
2. Roughly chop tomatoes, carrots, onion, and garlic and toss in pan with a generous drizzling of olive oil and salt and pepper. Sprinkle thyme and rosemary on top.
3. Roast in oven for about 45 minutes mixing the vegetables about every 10 minutes, until all sides have roasted and browned.
4. Heat saucepan with tomato paste and olive oil.
5. Mix in the roasted vegetables into the stock.
6. Blend everything with a hand blender, food processor, or blender. I like to use a hand blender because it's less messy.
7. Simmer soup. You can serve with mascarpone cheese or any other vegan cream substitute. Enjoy!
I like to eat my soup with a side of bread and avocado. The best is olive bread with slices of perfectly ripe avocado!