I decided to use all my favorite ingredients and make a protein filled salad bowl. Since I'm eating strictly plant-based now (I decided to cut out dairy, meat and eggs for good) I've been incorporating more beans and potatoes into the mix, especially on days I work out hard. You know what I've noticed? I have WAY more energy (YES!), less breakouts (I think eggs were the culprit), and in a better mood. Food really does affect your gut and the way you energetically feel. I go back and forth experimenting with incorporating animal foods into my diet, but I honestly always feel best just eating strictly plant-based.
Not only do beans and potatoes contain high amounts of protein, greens like spinach and broccoli do as well. So you can imagine how much protein is in this salad!
You can also substitute the white potato with sweet potato. I bought these purple skinned potatoes from the local farmers market, so I wanted to use them up.
What really brings this salad together is the vegan rawmesan 'cheese,' which I've been sprinkling on just about anything I can. Its made with nutritional yeast, which is high in vitamin B. When eating strictly pant-based you need to be very conscious that you're receiving all the nutrients your body needs. When your body is deficient in vitamin B you'll notice you're constantly tired, moody, sleep poorly, and your skin may even begin to look flushed and pale. Avoid these symptoms by eating more vitamin B rich foods like greens, nutritional yeast, nuts, seeds, and other foods listed here.
I hope you enjoy this recipe, and remember to generously sprinkle that rawmesan 'cheese' on top!
Makes 2 Servings
- 3 cups mixed greens (divided)
- 3 small potatoes (or 1 medium potato of your choice: sweet potato, red potato, white potato)
- 3 sprigs of thyme
- 2 portobello mushrooms
- 1 can of chickpeas
- 1/2 head of broccoli
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp pink Himalayan salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 ear of sweet corn
- 1 avocado
- 2 Tbsp Vegan rawmesan 'cheese'
1. Preheat oven to 375'F.
2. Cut your potato in to small pieces, and spread in baking dish and drizzle avocado oil or olive oil on top, and salt and pepper. Mix in the sprigs of thyme, and roast until golden brown for about 40 minutes. Stir every 10 minutes.
1. Chop mushrooms into bite sized pieces and cook in your skillet with salt and pepper on medium heat stirring frequently for about 15-20 minutes.
2. Set aside once cooked.
Chickpeas and broccoli:
1. Bring a saucepan of water to a boil and add in broccoli, and cook until softened. For about 5-7 minutes. Drain broccoli once softened.
2. Add 1 Tbsp of avocado or olive oil, cooked broccoli, chickpeas, spices, and salt and pepper into your pan and cook on medium heat with a splash of water for about 5 minutes. Adjust seasoning to taste.
1. Husk corn.
2. Bring a saucepan of water to a boil and add corn. Cook for about 5-7 minutes. Cut the kernels off the core and set aside.
1. Add 1 1/2 cups of mixed greens to each bowl and then divide all the toppings to each bowl. Add the avocado and the vegan rawmesan on top.
2. Use your favorite dressing. I used a simple French vinaigrette dressing and it tasted great! Enjoy!