These muffins smell like fall! The cinnamon in the air, and sweet smell of fresh pears! They are made with oats, almond flour, and coconut flour; just enough of each.
I love the sprinkle of coconut sugar on top, because its low glycemic, way less processed than other artificial sweeteners, and adds just a hint of sweetness. You can add this to your to smoothies, oatmeal recipes or any other recipe that calls for sugar.
You know what I love most about these muffins? I don't feel bad eating them. I know they are made with real all-natural ingredients, are gluten-free, and won't make me feel bloated or heavy after eating them.
I'll make these to eat when I have a busy work week and need to grab something quickly in the morning. They are also great as a little sandwich with almond butter, banana and cinnamon!
Hope you enjoy these!
For the pear puree:
- 3 ripe pears
- 2 tbsp honey
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
For the muffin mix:
- 2/3 cup oats
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup almond flour (or ground almonds)
- 1 tsp baking powder (use certified gluten free if necessary)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 tsp oats
- 1 tsp coconut sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350F and line a muffin tray with muffin cases.
- Peel the pears and chop them into bite sized pieces. Place them in a saucepan over a medium heat and cook for 4-6 minutes. As the pears begin to break down mash them with a potato masher until they reach a puree consistency. Remove from the heat and stir in the honey and vanilla extract and set aside for the moment.
- Blend the oats in a food processor for a few seconds to grind them into a finer consistency. Transfer to a mixing bowl and add the coconut flour, almond flour, baking powder and spice mix. Mix well before adding the beaten eggs. Mix again and then add the pear puree.
- Once all the mixture has been fully combined spoon it into the muffin cases. These muffins won't rise like normal muffins so build the mixture up high if you want large muffins!
- Sprinkle the remaining oats and coconut sugar on top of the muffins and bake in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and transfer to a cooling rack. These muffins will keep in an airtight container for 3 days.