Makes 9 patties
- 1 can garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 zucchini (diced)
- 1 kale leaf (diced)
- 3 medium crimini mushrooms
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup and 3 TBSP cornmeal
- 1/4 cup ground flax seeds
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 TBP oil for pan-frying (you can bake these too if you want to avoid oil)
1. In a mixing bowl, smash the garbanzo beans until they are a flaky.
2. Dice the garlic, kale, zucchini, and mushrooms. Mix them into the bowl with the garbanzo beans.
3. Combine the flax and vegetable stock, then add it to the mixture
4. Add in the cornmeal, salt, and pepper.
5. Bring an oiled frying pan to medium heat.
6. With your hands, make 1″-thick cakes about 2″ in diameter
7. Fry on each side until golden and crispy (or bake at 350º for 15-20 min on a baking sheet w/ wax paper).
I served my patties on a bed of massed kale with tomatoes, pumpkin seeds, and after I took the picture I topped it off with my favorite vegan cheese, Daiya mozzarella!