You know how when you find something you like and you just keep making it? Well this was one of those dishes that became a staple a while back. Probably having overloaded on the tempeh a broccoli a bit, I took a break from making this for a while. Now that Ive begun to make it again, I remember why I couldn't stop eating this dish!
The sauce is sticky, sweet, spicy, salty, and coats the crunchy tempeh perfectly. The broccoli adds some greens to the dish, and is balances out the saltiness of the tempeh.
This is my favorite way to cook tempeh, to fry it and make it golden brown and crispy. If you have any good tempeh recipes please share! I need to expand my tempeh horizon!
Yields: 2/3 Servings
- 2 packages of tempeh (organic)
- 2 red peppers thinly sliced
- 2-3 shallots thinly sliced
- 4 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 3 TBSP of raw local honey
- 1/4 cup tamari
- 4 TBSP water
- 1 tspn crushed red pepper
1. Heat enough olive oil in pan to fry the tempeh.
2. Cut the tempeh in half and slice it in half again to make it thin, then cut into 1/2 inch pieces.
3. Fry tempeh in olive oil until golden brown and crisp on both sides.
4. Take tempeh out of pan and place on paper towel, to soak up the excess olive oil.
5. Heat red pepper, shallots, garlic, and crushed red pepper in pan.
6. Add water and honey until sauce begins to caramelize. Then add tamari to mixture.
7. Finally, add tempeh into the pan and coat with sauce on low heat. If you need more sauce, just add more honey and tamari.
8. Enjoy with a side of freshly steamed broccoli!