When you're hungry and you only have a few items in your kitchen that luckily go together, new recipes can be created! I also was searching for inspiration online for what to create with my ingredients and came across a similar recipe on Ohsheglows.com. I took what spices to use and how much from the recipe I found. I only had a sweet potato and lentils left in my kitchen and always have broth and spices on hand, so thats what the soup would be made of! This is a filling rich soup and the sweet potato is creamy and sweet. The spices add a lot of flavor and depth to this dish.
- 2 tsp coconut oil (or other oil)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp dijon mustard (optional)
- 1 small onion, diced
- 4 cups diced sweet potato
- 1 cup green lentils
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 3/4 tsp smoked paprika, or to taste
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/8-1/4 cayenne pepper, to taste
- 1/2 tsp chili powder (or chili flakes)
- fine grain sea salt and black pepper, to to taste
1. Add oil to a large pot and sauté the garlic and onion for 5 minutes, or until the onions are translucent. Add in the dijon mustard and stir for about a minute.
2. Add in the spices and stir until fragrant, about another minute. The add in the sweet potato, broth, and lentils. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil and simmer on low-medium heat uncovered for 20-30 minutes, or until the lentils are cooked through and the potatoes are tender.
3. You can blend this in a food processor to make it more creamy or enjoy it chunky, I prefer it chunky so I didn't blend the soup. Hope you enjoy this spiced sweet potato stew!