I enjoy cooking but that doesn't mean I want to cook meals that take a long time. When i'm hungry, I'm hungry! As I'm sure you can relate to.
A lot of my meals contain quinoa and beans, because it's rich in fiber and protein, and just what a vegan like me needs in my diet!
I love mexican spices and flavors, and the fact that fresh avocado is a perfect combination with these kind of meals doesn't hurt! I mean who doesn't love avocado! (If you don't you're seriously missing out! But more for me!) Avocados are rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which is great for your heart and skin! They are also rich in potassium, vitamin B6, E and C. When you eat a plant-based diet and whole foods you receive all the nutrients you need right from the source.
Nutrient dense foods are healing and help maintain your energy throughout the day. Do you feel tired? Have headaches? Body aches? Swelling? Then your body is telling you something! Don't ignore these symptoms and cover them up by taking pain relievers! Figure out what is going on in and how your diet or lifestyle may be affecting your health. The good thing is you can heal yourself! You just have to want to, and tweak your daily routine and figure out what foods you may need to add in to your diet.
This recipe is quick, simple, and most importantly tasty! If you enjoy Mexican food, this Mexican inspired quinoa beans with vegetables will satisfy your cravings!
Yields: 2 Servings
- 1/2 cup rinsed quinoa
- 1/2 can of 15oz can of black beans
- 1/2 red pepper
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 water
- 1 lime
- 2 TBSP of Trader Joe's Taco mix (or your favorite taco spice mix)
- 1 head broccoli
- Daiya cheddar cheese
- 1 avocado
1. Boil 1/2 cup of water and 1/2 cup of vegetable broth. Add rinsed quinoa, black beans, and diced red pepper. Simmer until cully cooked.
2. Sautee quinoa mixture with broccoli, juice of 1 lime, and taco mix. Add some vegetable broth too to mixture to cook broccoli.
3. Mix with Daiya cheese, which melts perfectly into this dish. Top off with freshly sliced avocado, and enjoy!