Sometimes you wake up in the morning and your bananas…dun dun dun….haven't frozen. I know right? You take the time to slice them up and but them in the freezer, where hello…they are supposed to freeze! I wasn't planning on making a smoothie bowl, but sometimes you have to go with the flow. Because my bananas didn't freeze, but were cold, a smoothie bowl it was, and I was not disappointed! Cherries have been my obsession this summer, and they were on sale at Whole Foods, so I've been incorporating them in as many dishes I can! You might also wonder why I use bananas in a lot of my recipes…because I love them! Sometimes I get asked at the supermarket if I own any monkeys, because I buy so many bananas at a time…hehe. They also are filling and great to have in the morning for breakfast, and add a creaminess to a lot of my recipes.
The combination of cherries and cocao is heavenly..really..And make sure you add some crunchy texture for your toppings, because that's what really makes a smoothie bowl. The gooey sticky dried figs, and the sprinkle-like crunch from the shredded coconut and chia seeds add a really nice texture to this smoothie. The almonds add a nice bite and protein to this dish! There really isn't more to say unless you have to try this for yourselves…its pretty delicious!
Black Cherry and Cocao Smoothie Bowl
Yields 1 serving
- 2 frozen bananas (Sliced)
- 6 frozen cherries (de-pitted and sliced)
- 1 TBSP cocao powder
- ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 TBSP Justin’s chocolate almond butter
1. Blend 1 frozen banana, frozen cherries, and half of almond milk. Set aside.
2. Blend together the other frozen banana, cocao powder, chocolate almond butter, and the rest of the almond milk.
3. Pour both into bowl, and add toppings. I added dried figs, chia seeds, almonds, and shredded coconut. I licked my bowl clean. You should too! Enjoy!