I've been loving oatmeal lately, its versatile, and you can add so many different toppings and have different flavors of it every day. It's filling because its rich in fiber, and has no sugar.
Over the weekend, I went out for dinner, and for dessert I had the most amazing bread pudding ever created. It was sweet, moist, had caramelized ginger in it, and just was all around delicious. So, I wanted to translate the flavor of this dessert into oatmeal. Banana and ginger, two favorite flavors of mine melded into one, I just could't wait until the morning to create this. Not to mention this recipe has no added sugar, is dairy-free, and gluten-free.
Trying new flavors, finding inspiration from other peoples recipes and pictures, and just knowing what you like and don't like will help you be able to create your own recipes. Food doesn't have to be complicating. If you have good quality, fresh, and preferably organic ingredients, your simple dishes and recipes will always succeed. It takes time to be able to eat something someone else has made and re-create it in your own way. Just listen to what your taste buds tell you, and go for flavor pairings that you know work well together.
I'm a foodie. Addicted to trying new dishes. When I eat out, I want a great food experience that far surpasses my cooking abilities at home. I enjoy eating different cuisines, and I enjoy being able to be creative at home in recreating them.
If you love banana and ginger, I'm sure you'll enjoy this banana ginger oatmeal recipe. And hey…maybe your can recreate this recipe in your own way! If you do, please share!
Yields: 2 Servings
- 1 mashed ripe banana
- 1 TBSP diced fresh ginger
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tspn cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 2 cups and 2 TBSP unsweetened almond milk
- 1 cup gluten-free oatmeal
- 1 TBSP gluten-free oat bran (optional)
- 2 TBSP flaxseed meal (optional)
- 1 sliced banana
- chia seeds
- shredded coconut
- anything you like
1. Heat ginger and maple syrup together in saucepan over medium-low heat. Cook unit maple syrup begins to bubble.
2. Add almond milk, and whisk in cinnamon and nutmeg.
3. Add mashed banana, oatmeal, oat bran, and flaxseed meal.
4. Cook until mixture becomes gooey and creamy.
5. Add your toppings and enjoy!