When I first tasted the Limu Lemon Bai5 flavor I was immediately reminded of my favorite childhood muffins, lemon blueberry. The tart and sweet lemon flavor is refreshing and crisp, and I knew it would work perfectly in a muffin recipe.
If you’re a lemon fan like me you’ll love this recipe. The combination of the Bai5 Limu Lemon mixed with the fresh lemon zest and juice will have your taste buds singing. Lemons are super detoxifying and healing, as well as delicious and tart. This recipe is easy to make and a great snack or breakfast option. You can use frozen or fresh blueberries in this recipe, but I prefer fresh, because they add more flavor.
This recipe is dairy-free, gluten-free, and refined sugar free. I always like to use natural sweeteners that are low glycemic. Using sweeteners like honey or maple syrup as opposed to processed and refined white sugar, allows for your blood sugar levels to increase less rapidly and your body will digest the natural sugars more slowly. So you won’t get a sugar rush and crash from it later on, and then crave more sugar. This can be a vicious sugar cycle, but none of that here! I even will blend dates and bananas into recipes for added sweetness, and they add so much flavor! Next time you’re baking, making oatmeal, smoothies, or savory dishes, you can think to yourself, could I substitute natural sweeteners instead of refined sugar? Your body will thank you.
The best part about this recipe is it takes about 30 minutes to make, and voilà! The yummiest, fluffiest, most divine lemon blueberry muffins appear! Although, I can’t promise how long they will last…
Makes 12 cupcakes
Mix these together:
1 and 3/4 cups gluten free all-purpose flour (I used Bob’s Red Mill but regular flour works too!)
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 heaping tablespoon flaxseed meal
Melt these together:
1/2 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons Bai5 Limu Lemon
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 tablespoons lemon juice + zest of 1 small lemon
1 large ripe banana, mashed
1 cup fresh blueberries
Top with slivered almonds
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a muffin tin with cups.
- In a large bowl, mix together gluten free flour, salt, flaxseed meal and baking powder.
- In a small saucepan, melt coconut oil over low heat and remove from flame. In a small bowl add coconut oil with maple syrup, Bai5 Limu Lemon and unsweetened almond milk.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until combined.
- Fold in vanilla, lemon juice, zest, mashed banana and blueberries.
- Spoon into muffin cups, top with slivered almonds.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until tops are golden brown and center of muffin is set.
- Let cool and enjoy warm!