I bet some of you can't wait for Fall, while others, like myself, aren't ready for it to come yet! I'm enjoying the sun and warmth so much I'm not ready for the seasons to get cold again…maybe it's time to relocate to a warmer climate!
I bought this Purely Elizabeth oatmeal on sale at Whole Foods and just loved the fact that it not only contains all organic ingredients, but also gluten-fee oatmeal, quinoa, amaranth, flax, hemp, and chia seeds. Making this a SUPER superfood blend! I love when brands combine a ton of superfood ingredients, especially because some people just can't afford to spend money on buying each superfood separately. I use my superfoods all the time, so it's a great investment, but I definitely need to add amaranth, and hemp seeds to my collection!
Okay so you've probably heard of the chia seeds, hemp seeds, and quinoa by now and their superfood benefits, but what about amaranth? Amaranth is a seed that is an especially high-quality source of plant protein including two essential amino acids, lysine and methionine, which are generally low in grains. Amaranth is packed with iron and calcium, and its fiber content is triple that of wheat. Amaranth is completely gluten-free and suitable for those with celiac disease; what’s more, it is an especially digestible grain, making it a traditional food for people recovering from illness or transitioning from a fast or cleanse.
Another great thing about this oatmeal is that it cooks in just 2 minutes! I've also used this blend to make overnight oatmeal, and it came out delicious! The texture was creamy and light, so it tasted almost like pudding. I would even add a few tablespoons of this to a breakfast smoothie.
This recipe is great for transitioning into the Fall-time and apple season. The cinnamon makes you feel all warm and cozy inside. Just the smell fills your kitchen with an apple pie scent. The lemon juice adds a nice tartness to the sweetness of the apples, and the shredded coconut adds a nice creamy and coconut flavor. All the ingredients together make this oatmeal taste like apple pie for breakfast! I mean can you really not want that for breakfast!?
Yields 1 serving
- 1/2 gala apple (or apple of your choice)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Juice of 1 small lemon
- 1 TBSP maple syrup
- 2 TBSP unsweetened almond milk
- 1.2 cup of Purely Elizabeth Original Ancient Grain Oatmeal
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 water
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
1. Thinly slice apple into bite sized pieces.
2. Place apple, lemon juice, cinnamon, maple syrup, and the 2 TBSP of almond milk in saucepan. Simmer on low heat until apple pieces become soft. For about 10 minutes.
3. Add in oatmeal, 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk, and water. Simmer for another 5 minutes, stirring frequently until liquid is fully absorbed and oatmeal is cooked.
4. Take oatmeal off of heat and stir in shredded coconut.
5. Plate oatmeal and top off with mulberries, freshly sliced apples, and a sprinkle of cinnamon. Enjoy!