This recipe is part of Dig Inn's Wellness Series. Dig Inn is a farm-to-counter restaurant serving up real, good food here in NYC with a focus on seasonal, vegetable-friendly cooking.
This salad is a fiesta in your mouth! Mexican flavors are my all-time favorite, and this salad celebrates spices and veggies. Have you been getting bored of salads lately? Need a new recipe to mix things up and add flavor back into your life? This recipe will hit the spot!
The creamy avocado dressing is citrusy, with added spice. The salad paired with the roasted sweet potato, charbroiled lime corn, and spicy black beans, adds protein to the dish and a variety of flavor.
The pickled red cabbage, sprouts, red onion, and red pepper add a nice crunch. This salad is super refreshing and the perfect dish for summer. Light, flavorful, and refreshing. What more could you want?
I would eat Mexican food every day if I could, it might have to do because I am slightly addicted to avocados. I don’t think I could ever get sick of them. I eat about one a day. The best thing about Mexican dishes is they celebrate vegetables and use a variety of spice. If you haven’t caught on by now, I’m all about flavor. Just because a recipe is healthy, doesn’t mean it has to taste bland. This recipe will wake up your tastes buds and have you wanting more!
Makes 2 Servings
- 4 cups of spring mix salad
- ¼ cup red pepper (thinly sliced)
- ¼ cup red onion (diced)
- 1/3 cup spicy black beans
- ½ jalapeno pepper (thinly sliced)
- ½ cup pickled red cabbage
- 1 avocado
- ½ cup sprouts or cilantro for garnish (optional)
- 4 lime wedges (served on side)
Roasted Sweet Potato:
- 1 sweet potato (cut into 1 inch bite sized pieces)
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 Tbsp. Taco seasoning (I use Trader Joes taco spices)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 corn
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- salt and pepper
- ½ lime juiced
Creamy Avocado Dressing:
- ½ ripe avocado
- 1 orange juiced
- 1 large lime juiced
- 3 tsp. honey or sugar
- 3 tsp. hot sauce
- ½ tsp. cumin
- 1/8 tsp. chili powder (or more hot sauce)
- 5 Tbsp. olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350’F. Mix the sweet potato, olive oil, salt and pepper, and taco spices together, and spread onto cooking sheet. Cook for about 30 minutes, until browned and cooked through. Stir about every 10 minutes, so that each side is cooked evenly.
2. Husk corn, and spread butter and salt and pepper all around the corn. Cook under broiler until golden brown on each side. Then take out of oven and squeeze the juice of ½ a lime on top.
1. For dressing, Blend together all of the ingredients in a blender or food processor. Adjust and add more of the ingredients according to taste.
2. Mix together all of the salad ingredients in a bowl. Add the sweet potato, and corn, and drizzle the salad dressing on top. Add the pickled red cabbage, sprouts, and jalapeno on top.
3. Serve and enjoy!