People ask me all the time about brands that I recommend for supplements and what to look for. Here is some advice when it comes to choosing the best quality supplements.
QUALITY IS KEY:
You want to avoid any processed ingredients or supplements with fillers in them. Vitamins are supposed to benefit your health, not have you ingesting more harmful chemicals. Would you eat a piece of fruit with added ingredients? No, you would want the fruit in its natural state, just as you should want your supplements to be. Pure, not processed with no added chemicals. This way your body will absorb the nutrients it needs. The better quality, the more benefits and results you will feel and see.
Don't think just because you are in a vitamin store or health food store that you can trust any supplement brand. You still have to read the labels. Lots of brands out there claim to be "healthy," however this just isn't the case. Make sure to read all the ingredients on the back of the bottle and what is also listed in the "other ingredients" section. This is the section where many brands hide added chemicals in the fine print.
Avoid any supplements with these ingredients:
2. Magnesium Stearate
3. Natural flavors
4. Titanium Dioxide
5. Ascorbic Acid
7. Pyridoxine Hydrochloride
What vitamins should you take daily? I personally see an endocrinologist and have blood-work done every 3 months or so, so that I take supplements to balance out certain levels that are low. However, if you don't decide to do this, I recommend taking these supplements daily:
1. Zinc: Great for immune support, helps to treat the common cold, and improves brain and memory function. This is also what I take when I travel or during the cold and flu season. I take this supplement year round.
2. Vitamin B: Helps to promote healthy metabolism function and helps to convert food into fuel, allowing me to stay energized throughout the day.
3. Vitamin D: Regulates the absorption of calcium and phosphorus, and facilitates in normal immune system function.
4. Probiotics: Provides and supports healthy bacteria in my gut so that I am able to digest food properly and absorb nutrients more efficiently.
5. Selenium: This is an essential mineral important for cognitive function, a healthy immune system, and fertility for both men and women.
6. Vitamin C: This is another great supplement that I take during cold and flu season because it supports my immune system. It also protects against cardiovascular disease, prenatal health problems. eye disease, and even skin wrinkling.