My favorite berries inspired me to make these superfood berry scones! It’s strawberry season, and you can find beautifully ripe ones at your local farmers market. I love eating goji berries and mulberries as well, and they have a very subtle flavor, so they mix perfectly with the sweet strawberries and tart lemon glaze.
I sweetened this recipe with raw honey, and used low-fat organic Greek yogurt and butter to make these scones buttery and moist. The Bai5 Molokai Coconut adds the perfect hint of coconut. These scones came out super moist, fluffy, and delicious! The lemon glaze on top paired with the sweet strawberries tastes so refreshing!
I usually add Goji berries and mulberries to my oatmeal’s, acai bowls, or eat them in trail mixes. Why do I love these berries so much?
Goji berries have been used in traditional Chinese medicine for thousands of years and are extremely high in antioxidants. Similar to the benefits you get from eating other berries, Goji berries are loaded with beta-carotene, which helps promote healthy skin. Goji berries have also been known to help boost the immune system and protect the eyes — talk about a super fruit. And like other berries, Goji berries are also an excellent source of vitamin C and can reduce tough cold symptoms.
Mulberries are a great source of protein, vitamin C and K, fiber, and iron. Additionally, mulberries are a great source of the antioxidant resveratrol. Research published by the University of Texas Health Science Center credits resveratrol for positive effects on age and longevity. Mulberries also contain alkaloids that activate and stimulate the immune system.
Indulge in these superfood scones, and add try this healthy twist on a classic! Hope you enjoy!
- 1 1/2 Cups oat flour
- ¼ cup & 1 Tbsp. all purpose flour (I used gluten-free)
- ¼ cup raw honey
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- 5 Tbsp. unsalted butter, cold, cut into chunks
- 6 Tbsp. Goji berries
- ¼ cup mulberries
- 2 Tbsp. Bai5 Molokai Coconut
- 1 cup low-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- 3 Tbsp. honey
- 3 Tbsp. low-fat Greek yogurt
- ½ lemon juice and zest (add more lemon if needed)
1. Heat oven to 400’F. Coat baking sheet with butter and flour.
2. In a food processor, pulse together flours sugar, and baking powder.
3. Add butter; pulse until butter creates small crumbs, about 8 times.
4. Add goji berries, mulberries, Bai5 Molokai Coconut, and 1 cup of yogurt; pulse until just combined.
5. Flour hands and transfer dough onto prepared sheet and pat into 8-inch disk.
6. Press strawberries into top od dough. Bake scones until tops are browned.
7. Cool for 10 minutes. Cute into 8 wedges.
8. In saucepan over low heat, whisk together the ingredients to make the lemon glaze. Add more lemon juice or zest if needed.
9. Drizzle glaze over scones and serve immediately. Enjoy!