Snacking is essential when you're on the go and sometimes you don't have enough time to sit down and eat, but you need something to sustain yourself. Being prepared for these moments is key, so that you don't reach for something not so healthy. Having snacks on hand with you or where you work can help in these moments of need.
My favorite snacks are plant-based, and whole foods. They aren't processed, and aren't filled with sugars. This way you're feeding your body nutrients it needs instead of feeding in to stress cravings, like sugar and caffeine, which we tend to do.
I love finding new brands, and products that utilize whole foods and add more flavor to them, like you'll see below. Instead of chips being your go-to snack, you can get a salty crunch from roasted chickpeas, or pumpkin seeds. The healthier alternatives are unlimited. It's really just searching for them at your grocery store, and reading labels!
I hope these give you some ideas of new snacks you can try and look out for, because I know even I get bored with eating the same things over and over.
Here are some of my favorite snacks at the moment:
1. Hummus and carrots: A simple snack that can be bought at any grocery store and sometimes corner delis. You can get a variety of vegetables and have them cut and prepared to dip into your favorite hummus!
2. Pumpkin Seeds: You can eat these raw, or buy a brand like SuperSeedz, which offers a variety of flavors. Pumpkin seeds are great to eat everyday because they are rich in zinc which is beneficial for your immune system, iron, and protein. I love the italian flavor, because its savory, has lots of flavor, and low in sugar.
3. Nut Bars: Eating sprouted nuts are great because they haven't been pasteurized, and are in their purest form. I love this Bluberry Burst nut bar made by .Two Moms in The Raw. Buy bars with whole food ingredients, make sure theres no added sugar, and its sweetened with natural sugars like this one is with coconut nectar. I love coconut sugar and nectar because its low glycemic so you don't get a sugar rush. A lot of bars put there are extremely processed and contain a lot of sugar, so really read the label to make sure you're buying a whole food product.
4. Roasted Chickpeas: A simple whole food, when roasted becomes crispy and delicious. You can find them in different flavors, but make sure you buy a brand which does not add a bunch of chemicals and artificial ingredients into the mix. I like the original flavor chickpeas made by Pulse Roasted Chickpeas . This is a snack that you can easily take with you on-the-go, and won't get squished in your bag.
5. Superfood Trail Mix: I've been addicted to this trip mix ever since I came across it in Whole Foods. You can find it in the bulk section. Other grocery stores have a trail mix similar to it. Its filled with superfood berries like goji berries, mulberries, wild blueberries, inca berries, and golden raisins. It also has raw cashews, pumpkin seeds, pistachios, and cocao nibs. It's filling, and satisfies your sweet cravings, because of the hint of sweetness from the raisins and berries. This trail mix has so many nutrients in it, which I love!
6. Raw Dark Chocolate: Raw chocolate is extremely healthy when it doesn't have a ton of processed sugar, dairy and other chemicals added to the mix. I've finally found my favorite chocolate brand, Righteously Raw. All their chocolate is extremely rich, made with raw cocao, lightly sweetened with agave or dates, and super delicious. What I love most about this chocolate bar is the quality, every ingredient is pure, whole, Non-GMO and organic.