This is one of my favorite recipes to make on a cold night! Its simple and doesn't take that long to make. It's a hearty soup filled with veggies and protein. You probably have most of these ingredient in your kitchen already as well.
It's been a long winter here on the east coast, and soup has been my go-to dinner. The best part about this recipe, is that there's always enough leftover for lunch the next day.
I usually have vegetable stock on hand in my pantry, but if I don't I use a little more cumin in this recipe and spices to add more flavor to the water. This recipe doesn't call for vegetable stock, but if you'd like to use that instead of water, use the whole container and add a bit less cumin.
I never thought I'd be posting a soup recipe in April, but I honestly never get tired of lentil soup. Hope you all enjoy this as much as I do!
Makes about 4 servings
- 1 medium onion (diced)
- 2 TBSP avocado or olive oil
- 4 TBSP cumin
- 1 tsp ground mustard seed
- 1 tsp oregano
- 3 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 3/4 can (15oz can) of diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 large carrots (diced)
- 4 medium white potatoes (cut into bite sized pieces)
- 1 1/2 cup French lentils
- 8 cups water
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 small head broccoli
To Serve (optional):
- Sliced avocado
- Lemon juice
1. Add diced onion and oil to saucepan over medium heat and cook for about 4 minutes until onion becomes translucent.
2. Stir in the spices: cumin, ground mustard seed, oregano, cayenne pepper, and bay leaves. Cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
3. Then add in the diced tomatoes, carrots, potatoes, lentils, water., and salt and pepper Bring to a boil and then down to medium heat and cover your saucepan with a lid and cook for about 30-40 minutes until the lentils and vegetables have softened.
4. Once the lentils and vegetables are soft, add in the chopped broccoli and cook for another 6 minutes.
5. Adjust seasoning according to taste.
6. I like to serve my soup with fresh lemon juice and sometimes avocado on top. The lemon juice just add more flavor. Hope you enjoy!